If you go to the gym often, you might have seen a monster machine at the corner of the gym. In most cases, there are fewer people who approach this machine because it appears so big and more complicated. If you are one of such persons, you need to know that the dip machine is one of the easiest pieces of equipment you should be using every time you are at the gym.
If you are too afraid or do not like the lifting heavy weights, consider the dip machine. More surprisingly, with a dip machine, you can get a complete upper body work out in just only 15 minutes. A dip machine will save you a lot of time at the gym given that there are fewer people who know how to make use of it. That is the reason you always see it at the gym without someone using it. So which are some of the ways you can use the dip machine to carry out a workout? Here are the various ways of using the dip machine.
How Does the Assisted Dip Machine Work?
Just as the name suggests, the dip machines are designed in such a way that they can help you when carrying out your work out. The dip machines have plates and a selector pin which helps you select the amount of weight you need to exercise with.
The number you will see indicated on the plate is a multiple of ten. For example, if you select 4 it will mean that the assisted dip machine will make you 40 pounds lighter. If you are a beginner at the gym, it is recommended you begin with a large number such as 10 or 15. However, this does not mean you remain at 15, challenge yourself every day by choosing other numbers.
You can either stand when exercising of you can kneel. It will depend on the model of the gym. If you are so unsure how to use the machine, ask the gym instructor. Avoid assuming things in the gym as it may cost your health. Do not go out of the gym and avoid coming tomorrow due to an injury.
Doing Assisted Pull up on the Dip Machine
If you want to work on your bicep and the dorsi muscles, using a dip machine would be the best option. When using the machine to carry out the pull-ups, you will be required to lift your body weight from an extended position of your arms. Here are the steps you need to follow to successfully carry out pull-ups on the dip machine.
- Begin by grasping the angled handles above you when kneeling or standing on a levered platform. Avoid adding any weight when carrying out this.
- Just see how far you can easily lift yourself. Also, see how many of the lifts you can easily complete without arching your back.
- Adjust the pin of the pull-up dip machine and make sure you select the correct weight. It depends on your body weight. If you select the right weight, you should easily lift yourself.
- Continue carrying out the exercise smoothly and make sure you spread your chest when you reach the top.
- You can carry around 8 repetitions and after the first set, have a rest for about 1 minute before beginning another set.
Using a Tricep Dip Machine to Build Your Triceps
If you are looking for a way of making sure that your triceps muscles remain strong, you can also use the dip machine. Here are the steps of using the machine to carry out assisted dips.
- In most cases, you should begin to establish what you can do. So go ahead and use your straight elbows hold the handles of the machine and see how far you can easily lift yourself using the machine. Repeat the process and do as many as you can.
- Adjust the pin of the plate and make sure you select the right weight. You should have the ability to lift yourself easily and return yourself to the original position.
- Always make sure you have centered your body and if you realize you are straining your shoulders, stop exercising and lower the weight.
Carrying Out Band Dips
Using the band dips can also be one of the easiest ways through which you can exercise. Here is the procedure of carrying out the band dips.
- Tie the ends of the resistance band to the bar handles. Adjust the band to any position which you are comfortable with.
- Take your knees and place them against the band.
- Lower your body down until the elbows are at 90 degrees.
- Begin carrying out the dips and make sure your elbows are always straight when you move up.
- As you continue lifting more weights and becoming stronger, it is always advisable to use bands which are much weaker so that you can exercise comfortably.
Using the Seated Dip Machine
If you are uncomfortable when performing the weight lifts, using a pullup and dip machine can be one of the best options for you. The seated dip machine will work on your triceps muscles.
Another benefit of using the seated dip machine is that it will allow you to overload the target muscle with as much weight as you wish since it does not require any balancing. Even if you become tired, the machine will still prevent leaning forward which means you will be working on your triceps muscles during the entire training session.
Here are steps of working on your triceps using the seated dip machine.
- Place your feet flat on the floor and sit on the dip machine while at the same time making sure you have placed your back against the machine pad.
- Some machines have belts and you can tie the belt on your thighs to hold your legs onto the machine. If there is no thigh belt, no need to worry.
- Hold the handles of the machine while keeping the arms at the side of your torso.
- Begin pushing the handles of the machine down until you see that the elbows have become fully extended.
One of the greatest mistakes which trainees make is not extending the elbows fully. By extending the elbows, the flex muscles and triceps muscles will be at a better position of developing. Here are some safety tips when using the seated dip machine.
- Always make sure you focus on creating tension on the triceps muscles by making a little bend of your arms. Remember, the focus is on developing your triceps muscles.
- Make sure you maintain an upright position when using the seated dip machine. To avoid focusing on other parts of the body such as the chest, always make sure you keep your head straight with your eyes facing the ceiling. If you lean forward or keep your head low, you will be working on your chest.
- Let your arms remain close to your sides throughout the time when you are carrying out the exercise.
- Make sure your back is leaning on the pad and the feet are close to the floor. Also stay in the position throughout the entire session.
Carrying Out the Bench Dips
If you are having some challenges when working with the parallel bars at the gym to perform your dips, you need to consider using the bench dips. The bench dips are easier to carry out and you can carry them out using the benches only without involving the machine dips.
Another benefit of the bench dips is that it can work completely on every part of the triceps muscle and extend to work on the front shoulder. Two benches are used when you are carrying out the bench dips using the following procedure.
- Place two benches at about 3-4 feet apart.
- Position yourself at the end of one of the benches and hold the bench at the end with both hands.
- Place your heels on the other bench at a reasonable distance from the edge of that bench.
- Slowly move your butt and suspend it in front of the hands holding the bench.
- Lower your body toward the floor while bending your arms.
- Lower your body without touching the floor and return to the same position.
- Continue carrying out the exercise and finish up to 8 reps.
Safety Tips When Using Bench Dips
If you fail to use the bench dips correctly, you will fail to achieve your gym goals. Remember it is a new year and missing out on your gym goals such early is not good. In addition, there are some people who will ever complain of going back to the gym since they are feeling pain. The problem with such people is that they did the wrong thing while at the gym and got an injury so they are afraid of going back to the gym. To avoid being like them, follow these safety tips.
- Avoid migrating the elbows from the side. Make sure they are directly backward when you are raising your body of lowering it.
- Let your body go below the level of the bench. To achieve this, you should stop lowering your body when the elbows are at 90 degrees.
- Make sure your body weight is distributed throughout the hands and not the feet. Make sure your body is close to the bench,
- To avoid damaging your spine, make sure it remains in a straight line meaning that it has to be in a parallel position with the bench you are using.
- Keep on changing the width of the hands so that you find an appropriate position where your triceps will have greater tension.
- Do not move your hips away from the bench when exercising. Let them be in a steady position.
- Let the elbows bend and make sure the back is more close to the bench. This will make it easier for you to control the extension of the triceps muscles.
Well, if you think that the above dips are easier for you, then here is a list of the advanced dip variations which you can work with. Some of these variations are a great way of building your muscle power while others can build your body strength.
Now, you do not have to do all these dip variations at the gym. Just try out a few and see the ones which will work for you and be doing them. Once in a while, you can also try others which you are not used to. However, avoid those behaviors of newbies at the gym who want to try out and lift every weight they come across or some which they saw on YouTube.
Using Weight Plates
You can add weight to your body when performing the dips on the dip machine. Consider using a dip belt when carrying out the exercise or you can as well place them at your ankles. You can as well go ahead and wear the weight chains.
If you want to use them when carrying out the bench dips, make sure the plates are seated on your lap. If there are more heavy sets, work with your partner and request them to remove them as your muscles fatigue. It will help you in carrying out more difficult sets.
Using Bands to Resist the Dips
This style is almost similar to the band assisted dips which we previously talked about. However, in this one, you will need to attach the bands at the bottom of the dip machine and place the right side of the band on the left side of the neck and the left side of the band at the right of your neck. It will cross at the front side of the body and at the back of your body.
If you need to make your body fit, the dip machine is one of the equipment you need to go at the gym. If you are new to the fitness game, the machine can as well work for you. So the next time you see the dip machine at the corner in the gym approach it. Do the above exercises and as the others are waiting for the other partners to finish using weights, you will be ready to go.